Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda.  (Read 20915 times)

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: The Legend of Zelda.
« Reply #360 on: July 20, 2016, 04:56:29 am »
I've been recreating images that I liked in illustrator over the last year as I had time. I still have a few more to do. I kinda have a direction that I'm going to go with the artwork now.  Like I said, I want to make it kinda look old school from the eighties.  This is a really rough draft of the bezel, I'm sure the images will be moved around as I add more.  All that green negative space will have more stuff eventually.  All the gold showing is eventually going to be cut out by hand and be gold chrome highlights.  It'll be tedious but I'm actually looking forward to it.  I want an image of Zelda holding up a piece of the triforce so she can stand opposite of link.  I'll probably have to draw it. 

Also, the images I'm using of link are from both Zelda 1 and 2 from the NES.  The styles of art vary a bit.  I'm not sure that it bothers me that much.  But it may, we'll see.  They all look pretty similar except for the image I plan on using for the side art...which is very different, but also very cool.  I want to use it, so we'll see how it goes.

I was originally gonna do black artwork, but I think green will look really good against the gold paint and gold chrome highlights. 

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:41:53 am by Wyo »

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #361 on: July 26, 2016, 05:54:49 am »
I'm nearing the end of my design for the bezel. It's getting close I think. The main problem I was having was that I have three main characters for this game (Zelda, Link, and Ganon) and I have four corner spots for art.  I was having difficulty finding artwork styles that matched for the three figures....but they are very close.  I decided that the art styles need to match.  I want to focus on using the artwork from mostly The Legend of Zelda for the NES....so from promotional items, the box art, and the instruction manual. (I am no longer using the link in the bezel image above in a main corner...I found a link that matches Ganon and Zelda better)

So once I started heading in that direction, I got a design I liked.  Unfortunately, there is only one good LOZ image of Princess Zelda....so I used that image twice, Kinda like Donkey Kong does.  I was happy with it, and aI showed it to my brother.  First thing he said was, "dude, you used Zelda twice!" Ha.  So I explained to him that artwork was scarce for this game and I didn't know who else to use? He's says, "Use the old man, he's all over that game!"  I told him that that was a good idea, but I don't know where to find art for him that's in that style.  That is, until I found this.....

It's perfect as far as the style I'm using, so I was stoked.  The problem with it, it is a super low res image....as all of these images are.  But I figured I would do my best to recreate it.  But it was kinda boring, so I decided to modify it so it's more along the lines of where he gives Link the sword and says, "It's dangerous to go alone, take this".  I drew a version of him handing the sword out on paper and then began to create a vector in illustrator....

After some tweaking, here's the image I will use in the forth corner.  I didnt go to crazy with the shading, because I wanted to match the simplistic art on the rest of the bezel, and the original image. I still have some stuff to tweak...but it's close to good enoug I think.

Anyways, the best part of this story is that it was my brothers suggestion.  He's pretty much the reason I have memories of this game.  I remember the weekend we got it for the NES we were up all night playing this game together.  I was never really good at video games, so he would play and I would navigate all the maps and stuff.  it was a good time. :).  That's all for now.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 06:04:20 am by Wyo »

sokignano

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #362 on: July 26, 2016, 11:56:07 pm »
Hey Wyo,

Love the work, and it inspired me to vectorize as best to my ability some artwork from some really old Nintendo Powers, here are the svg files if they help in any way let me know.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw1hBxcAAmEWVktiRDd0SjhFQzg

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #363 on: July 27, 2016, 01:49:41 am »
After looking at that old man illustration, I realize I need to fix some things.  The main issue is the sword is to long so I will shorten it..it doesn't match the rest of the images.

Also, here is today's progress shot of the actual cab.   Unfortunately, I dont have access to a compressor so I wasn't able to do one coat of high build auto primer....so I had to do it the old fashioned tedious way. prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand.  The blue paint is guid coat and will be sanded away.

I've got to block it down with 220 at this point, and then I will prime it again.  Eventually, finishing it off with 600 to insure all the sand scratches are gone. Metallic paint shows every surface imperfection as the metallics tend to collect in them...so I'll do my best to prevent that.

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #364 on: July 28, 2016, 02:39:31 am »
Hey Wyo,

Love the work, and it inspired me to vectorize as best to my ability some artwork from some really old Nintendo Powers, here are the svg files if they help in any way let me know.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw1hBxcAAmEWVktiRDd0SjhFQzg

Oh wow, dude! I just saw this thanks!! I've pretty much have the bezel and marquee sorted out  (roughly) but when I switch to the CPO those files may come in handy!  I'm trying to decide if I want to do an instruction card as part of it....and if I do, some of those images may be useful. :)

Trying to figure out if I do an instruction card....what would it say? There's so much information for the game...I'd have to narrow it down a lot.

Thanks again!

EDIT-You're gonna laugh but I have no idea how to open those files. I'm pretty computer illiterate except for your basic Microsoft stuff and Adobe suite. Ha
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:37:17 am by Wyo »

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #365 on: July 28, 2016, 06:29:52 am »
So I think this is my marquee.  I still need to add the oval Nintendo logo.

And here it is with black bars representing the marquee brackets.

The marquee will not have any gold foil on it, as its transparent and the gold foil is not.  So I limited my use of the gold color but still tried to include some to unify everything a bit.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:34:03 am by Wyo »

sokignano

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #366 on: July 28, 2016, 09:22:38 am »
No worries, what art program are you using? Both Gimp and Photoshop should use these files, you just have to manually open them from the (File) menu. If not what is your preference in vector image?

ChanceKJ

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #367 on: July 28, 2016, 04:19:32 pm »
I skipped the instruction card for DKU, I figure if you do enough good work on the art package it isn't needed.  Plus in my eyes my DKU came after DK3, Vs, and MB, which didn't have cards so it falls in line. It was only Popeye, DK, and Jr that had them i think. 

If you do it, you gotta make sure its done with pixel art/sprites to stay in theme with the authentic ones from DK/Jr./P.E.

http://www.wiizelda.net/legend-of-zelda/legend-of-zelda-nes-sprites/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 04:21:10 pm by ChanceKJ »

Locke141

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #368 on: July 28, 2016, 09:28:36 pm »
I'm loving the art on this.

This thread seems to cover every possible option for playing Zelda. The Play choice is cool but it seems a expensive rout. NES emulation is pretty solid. Nestopia uses cycle exact emulation and I have never had a problem with any games. It only requires a 600MHz processor.

There is a thread on SD Card carts and CD drive replacements it would be great if you would consider posting your thoughts on the power pack.   
I have Dyslexia. Sorry for sometimes using bad grammar and or spelling. 
Beat'em up-X
Vigolix Hybrid
Chrono stick
VS stick
Out of Africa

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #369 on: July 28, 2016, 10:30:07 pm »
I'm loving the art on this.

This thread seems to cover every possible option for playing Zelda. The Play choice is cool but it seems a expensive rout. NES emulation is pretty solid. Nestopia uses cycle exact emulation and I have never had a problem with any games. It only requires a 600MHz processor.

There is a thread on SD Card carts and CD drive replacements it would be great if you would consider posting your thoughts on the power pack.

Yeah, I've been all over the place as far as powering the cabinet.  Actually, pretty much in every aspect of the cab.  Haha.  I LOVED the gold chrome vinyl and regret slightly losing it....but up close, I didn't like the slightly textured finish.  Who knows maybe I'll try it again some day.  Guess it's all part of the process.

I've now discovered the raspberry pie and retro pie.....so now that is an option as well.  I bought a Cana kit so I'll play around with it.  Although expensive, I think the authentic  feel of the playchoice board is the draw for me.  I will definitely post my review of the Powerpak.  I have the Everdrive for my NES and it's the best purchase I've ever made, literally saved me thousands!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:34:17 pm by Wyo »

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #370 on: July 28, 2016, 10:32:45 pm »
I skipped the instruction card for DKU, I figure if you do enough good work on the art package it isn't needed.  Plus in my eyes my DKU came after DK3, Vs, and MB, which didn't have cards so it falls in line. It was only Popeye, DK, and Jr that had them i think. 

If you do it, you gotta make sure its done with pixel art/sprites to stay in theme with the authentic ones from DK/Jr./P.E.

http://www.wiizelda.net/legend-of-zelda/legend-of-zelda-nes-sprites/

Definitely will do that Chance.  Although, you may be right in that it doesn't really need an instruction card.  However, if I end up gooing the Playchoice route it might be a good place to put those instructions.  I'm starting on the CPO in the next day or so...so stay tuned!  Thanks buddy!

Locke141

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #371 on: July 29, 2016, 09:55:34 am »
I've now discovered the raspberry pie and retro pie.....so now that is an option as well.  I bought a Cana kit so I'll play around with it.  Although expensive, I think the authentic  feel of the playchoice board is the draw for me.  I will definitely post my review of the Powerpak.  I have the Everdrive for my NES and it's the best purchase I've ever made, literally saved me thousands!

The R-pi can do NES just fine. I like Attract mode as a front end on the pi so thats something to think about. I would just use the play chose. You can't beat the renal thing.

If you have both then you could do a nice compassion of the two.
Beat'em up-X
Vigolix Hybrid
Chrono stick
VS stick
Out of Africa

sokignano

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #372 on: July 29, 2016, 02:59:57 pm »
I whipped this up dirty like! if you want the original photoshop file let me know :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw1hBxcAAmEWZDBzU1BrV1hKZW8

It looks alot like the layout of the Popeye card. I know LOL :)

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #373 on: July 29, 2016, 06:50:16 pm »
DUDE!!!! THATS SICK!!! I'm totally using it!!!! I may modify it a bit...change the logo and the background color but it's perfect!  Thanks!!!  Seriously, thank you!

yotsuya

• (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #374 on: July 29, 2016, 07:20:20 pm »
I whipped this up dirty like! if you want the original photoshop file let me know :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw1hBxcAAmEWZDBzU1BrV1hKZW8

It looks alot like the layout of the Popeye card. I know LOL :)
Good work!

sokignano

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #375 on: July 29, 2016, 09:15:29 pm »
For anyone that wants it, here is the psd file so you can change what ever you need! :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw1hBxcAAmEWNFFPdElEM2hrMHc

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #376 on: July 31, 2016, 06:02:30 am »
First off, another HUGE thank you to Sokignano for the direction with the instruction card.  I really had no idea what to do there as far as copy goes.....I spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted  it to say but was totally stuck and Sokignano pretty much nailed it.  Thank you for the psd file too! I slightly modified it to fit the design I was going for but I pretty much left it intact....so, again, Thanks!

Here's what I have for the CPO.  As with the bezel (which I'm still finishing up) the gold will be cut out and embossed gold chrome.  I figured I would hide the "admin" buttons for the playchoice 10 under the speaker panel because I don't want to clutter up the control panel.  So the "channel select" "enter" and "reset" buttons will be under the control panel.  The two action buttons A and B and Start and Select are on the CPO. Hopefully that isn't to confusing! I thought it would be good this way to because of I ever decide to switch to a raspberry Pi or something else....I'll have the standard NES control pad system already set up and won't have to make another CPO.

I used the words "attack" for A and "gadget" for B.  I looked up the NES instruction manual for LOZ and that is how they refered to them, so I figured I'd roll with it?

Oh, and the joystick I've selected is green.  I also have green and yellow buttons.

The left upper corner looks weird because the Instruction card is over lappin the corner detail.  I think it should look balanced out tho once the plexi carriage bolt is in both corners. I may change it.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:13:25 am by Wyo »

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #377 on: July 31, 2016, 06:07:38 am »
Also, I think I decided since I'm prepping this cabinet like a car, I might as well take the time to paint it like one.  I have selected this color in automotive urethane.  I may even throw some gold metallic flake in the clear coat as well just to give it a bit more pop....like a 70's county fair bumper car. Haha.

It's the closest I'll get to the chrome vinyl without the weird texture. What's cool about this is if I get dirt or anything in the paint or clear....I can sand and polish it out.  So hopefully have a nice smooth finish.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:09:14 am by Wyo »

yamatetsu

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #378 on: July 31, 2016, 08:04:44 am »

The left upper corner looks weird because the Instruction card is over lappin the corner detail.  I think it should look balanced out tho once the plexi carriage bolt is in both corners. I may change it.

Lookin' good ! However, IMHO the instruction card is a little bit too prominent, it does look like it is just slapped on. I would attempt to integrate it a bit more by putting it into a box like the characters and move said box a little bit to the left.

If you move the card's top text a bit to the right, you can even do your corner detail that is currently overlapped. I'd change the card's black background to the background color of the character boxes so that it fits a little better. Finally I would cut the line under the joystick that goes from Zelda's box to the left.

Completed your project? Post about it here!

n3wt0n

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #379 on: July 31, 2016, 08:12:56 am »
That paint is going to look real nice!

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #380 on: July 31, 2016, 08:44:56 am »

Lookin' good ! However, IMHO the instruction card is a little bit too prominent, it does look like it is just slapped on. I would attempt to integrate it a bit more by putting it into a box like the characters and move said box a little bit to the left.

If you move the card's top text a bit to the right, you can even do your corner detail that is currently overlapped. I'd change the card's black background to the background color of the character boxes so that it fits a little better. Finally I would cut the line under the joystick that goes from Zelda's box to the left.

You are right.  I like the idea of framing the instruction card with the chrome.  I was kinda going for the slapped on instruction card look like with the DK but there's no reason why I shouldn't integrate it more.  I'll play around with left side today....maybe I'll lose the little corner detail as well on both sides. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 08:49:53 am by Wyo »

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Currently building a DK cab
« Reply #381 on: July 31, 2016, 09:22:24 am »
this looks like a very promising build! nice work on the artwork so far and im interested to see how your gold paint comes out! I also de-cased the CRT in my build, just make sure you discharge it a few times first then its fine. what are you using to turn everything on at the same time?

cj138

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #382 on: July 31, 2016, 11:03:07 am »
Love this build! I can't wait to see how the paint turns out! Nice work Wyo

JDFan

• (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #383 on: July 31, 2016, 11:41:12 am »
IF you were to make the instruction card a bit smaller so that it fits inside the border would  it still be legible ?

Locke141

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #384 on: August 01, 2016, 12:11:12 am »
IF you were to make the instruction card a bit smaller so that it fits inside the border would  it still be legible ?
+1 to this idea
Beat'em up-X
Vigolix Hybrid
Chrono stick
VS stick
Out of Africa

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #385 on: August 01, 2016, 02:54:22 am »
I played around with all your guys suggestions. I didn't really like the way it looked with the smaller instruction card stacked on top of the lower fillagree.  I want the insruction card size to fit in next to a DK, DK JR etc if it was lined up next to it.  So I pretty much left it the same size and just moved stuff around.  I really like the contrast of the black instruction card a lot, as DK has it...but I can see why would some might like the suggested color change to the darker green: it blends in. Personally, I'm leaning towards the contrast of the black tho.  What do you all think?

Vs.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:00:53 am by Wyo »

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #386 on: August 01, 2016, 03:02:56 am »
this looks like a very promising build! nice work on the artwork so far and im interested to see how your gold paint comes out! I also de-cased the CRT in my build, just make sure you discharge it a few times first then its fine. what are you using to turn everything on at the same time?

Thanks! I'm just using a standard Emi filter on/off switch on the back of the cab wired directly to a power strip.  The power supply, marquee light and monitor all plug into the power strip. 

Locke141

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #387 on: August 01, 2016, 03:48:23 am »
There both really good but I thing the second one with the green back ground is better.
Beat'em up-X
Vigolix Hybrid
Chrono stick
VS stick
Out of Africa

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #388 on: August 01, 2016, 04:35:51 am »
There both really good but I thing the second one with the green back ground is better.

I have a feeling that is going to be the general consensus. :).  I may have to go with it, just because it does look nice and balanced...and against the grain is always good too I guess.

yamatetsu

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #389 on: August 01, 2016, 05:01:12 am »
+1 on the changes, that looks much better.

I really like the contrast of the black instruction card a lot, as DK has it...but I can see why would some might like the suggested color change to the darker green: it blends in. Personally, I'm leaning towards the contrast of the black tho.  What do you all think?

Both versions look good. Though I have advocated giving the card the dark green background color, I now have to say that black actually works better. The card looks like it belongs there, with the black color giving it a bit of prominence, but not too much. If you take the first look at the CP, you'll probably notice the card first, which is ok. The card has a purpose after all, which is giving info about how to play the game, so noticing this first is not a bad idea.
                   Completed your project? Post about it here!

sokignano

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #390 on: August 01, 2016, 04:07:07 pm »
Black is definitely the way to go! :)

JDFan

• (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #391 on: August 01, 2016, 04:52:35 pm »

And here I was gonna say the same except the black looked better !  :cheers:

Might also add the border to the left side of the CP before the instruction card something like attached (just threw it on quick using your posted pic - so it looks a bit off but shows what I meant ) 

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #392 on: August 01, 2016, 06:57:31 pm »
Cool! Glad you guys are in agreement going with the black as I was really leaning that way myself. :). Thank you to all who contributed to the design of the CPO.  It really helped! So black it is!

All I have left to design now is mainly the side art.  All I know on that right now is I want the Nintendo logo to be embossed gold chrome as well as the border.  I also need to finish up the bezel.

I thought about doing a small reference map of hyrule for the rectangular instruction card that goes above the CPO and below the bezel.  It may be to small to read tho...I'll play around with it and see.

Locke141

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #393 on: August 02, 2016, 05:03:30 am »
The code of arms on the cart is super bad. You have done such a good job using the original media, I'd keep with it and use a version of the original label.

However I would skip painting the latter pattern to the side. :lol
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 05:07:54 am by Locke141 »
Beat'em up-X
Vigolix Hybrid
Chrono stick
VS stick
Out of Africa

sokignano

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #394 on: August 02, 2016, 06:42:50 pm »
I think using the coat of arms as a printed vinyl adhesive :) and the Legend of Zelda could be stenciled on?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31