Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda.  (Read 20875 times)

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: The Legend of Zelda.
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2015, 10:24:21 pm »
Speaking of artwork....this is the direction I am headed with the side art.  Since I threw together this mock up in photoshop, Ive decided to tweak the design a bit....but this will be the basic direction.  As soon as I get some time, I will start recreating artwork and putting it together in illustrator.  Well see how it goes....

RetroGreg

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Eternal NOOB
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2015, 10:57:51 pm »
This is crazy cool. I almost want to say the sideart would look cool if it was something just like the triforce in a different gold shade, like a different shade of gold against the background like the limited edition 3DS released a couple years back. I really like the work you've done thoug and the speaker grill makes it off the hook!  :applaud:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:07:07 pm by RetroGreg »

nitrogen_widget

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2015, 05:56:32 am »
Giant gold thing in the driveway.
What will the neighbors think?

Rick

• (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2015, 06:59:23 am »
Giant gold thing in the driveway. What will the neighbors think?

Maybe they'll...

Dig 'em.

8)

wp34

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2015, 09:46:49 am »
The gold is fun. It reminds me of so sosummy's Ark of the Covenant cocktail RIP

FTFY.  ;)

;D  Good point.  I tend to be more optimistic because my projects take so long. 

8BitMonk

• (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2015, 10:37:01 am »
Interesting build, nice work so far.

Have you tried playing NES or SNES games with arcade controls? I find it frustrating and always revert to a traditional controller, it's tough to get the timing right, expecially when jumping in platformers.

If the durability of the gold becomes an issue you can always carpet the whole thing and make a scratching post out of it.   ;D

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2015, 11:08:18 am »
/Subscription Mode: On.
+1.  Subscribed.
Also, that speaker grille is genious.   :applaud:

D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:10:31 am by DeLuSioNal29 »
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

CraftyMech

• (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • I love the smell of solder in the morning...
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 12:54:26 pm »
Wyo is definitely legit!

His DK builds look great in person, down to the last detail. Can't wait to see how this one turns out Sam, definitely bring this cab to the RMPS!
"mini SLG" - VGA scanline generator
900+ sold, $29 + shipping
http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/scan-line-generators/1253-mini-slg.html

tomstewdevine

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Comics, Arcade, Family....... in that order.
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2015, 01:14:02 pm »
You have mentioned coining up, but if you are running an nes emulator to play zelda, then you will not be able to coin up.  And there isn't a Zelda game in Mame. (at least one that I know about).  But I'm sure you will cross those paths when they present themselves.

This is a really cool idea. And Screw It, I like the Gold, and the speaker holes are insanely cool, really great idea.
Finished: 2 bartops and a cocktail
Not-Finished: 1bartop, 2cocktails, and 2 stand ups.

opt2not

• (+13)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 01:17:08 pm »
Have you tried playing NES or SNES games with arcade controls? I find it frustrating and always revert to a traditional controller, it's tough to get the timing right, expecially when jumping in platformers.
Spoken like someone with no true arcade experience. I just couldn't resist

yotsuya

• (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 01:43:18 pm »
Spoken like someone with no true arcade experience. I just couldn't resist

I used to play a lot of Vs. games that are pretty much the same as the NES versions, so I think those will be fine. It's the ones that require rear controls or triggersticks that start to get convoluted.

8BitMonk

• (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2015, 04:17:42 pm »
I used to play a lot of Vs. games that are pretty much the same as the NES versions, so I think those will be fine. It's the ones that require rear controls or triggersticks that start to get convoluted.

Vs. are fine, triggersticks are a problem. I find jumps with critical timing in platformers way harder with an arcade button than a controller. It's always an option to hook up a controller later if there's easily accessible usb ports. Hopefully Blissbox gets funded so we all have a better way to hook up classic controllers.

Jigenjuke

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2015, 06:19:46 pm »
Hey there cool project, I think you should skip the border for that side art, make stencils and stencil that bad boy on both sides.  Maybe something different for the kick plate art.

Two thumbs up.

Jigenjuke

ChanceKJ

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2015, 07:42:48 pm »
I think Art will be where this project really stands out from amazing to next level.

harveybirdman

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 07:56:37 pm »
I typically hate the "Do this!" "Don't do that" chorus but I would take the art a more serious direction,  I love this

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2015, 09:41:35 pm »
Wyo is definitely legit!

His DK builds look great in person, down to the last detail. Can't wait to see how this one turns out Sam, definitely bring this cab to the RMPS!

Thanks Crafty, appreciate it!  Sux I keep missing you at the get togethers.  Between these builds, work and my fiance believing she needs attention I just havent been able to make it down.  I need to pick up two SLGs (one for this build)  from you the next time I see you!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:51:50 pm by Wyo »

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2015, 09:44:39 pm »
You have mentioned coining up, but if you are running an nes emulator to play zelda, then you will not be able to coin up.  And there isn't a Zelda game in Mame. (at least one that I know about).  But I'm sure you will cross those paths when they present themselves.

This is a really cool idea. And Screw It, I like the Gold, and the speaker holes are insanely cool, really great idea.

Im pretty sure you can play Zelda and all other NES games through Mame set up, specifically Hyperspin.  Ive watched youtube videos....anyways, I have the roms and can play them on JNES and Nestopia....as far as I understand, you just plug those into your front end and your good to go.  I gotta figure all that stuff out for sure.  I suck at the computer part of the builds....I can wire a jamma harness all day long...but the programming makes my head want to explode. Haha

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 09:50:52 pm »
I typically hate the "Do this!" "Don't do that" chorus but I would take the art a more serious direction,  I love this

So what do you guys suggest?  Chance?

Heres my line of thought.  Originally I was going to make this cabinet ALL gold.  Gold everything, just like the NES game.  Even the plexi glass was going to be amber.  But then I thought about it...and the more I thought about it I wanted it to have contrast like an NES arcade cabinet.  The brackets, coin door, hardware, and control panel (textured ABS) will be black....just like the Nintendo cabs.  The joysticks and buttons will be yellow and green.   The artwork I would like to be from the NES era. 

There are a lot of newer, more modern designs with contrasting golds, and hyrulian (is that a word?haha) filigree.....and I thought about going that route....but Im learning towards the standard NES package....side art, marquee, bezel artwork, and control panel art....as well as instruction stickers.

However, Im open to your ideas for sure.  :cheers:

harveybirdman

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2015, 10:22:34 pm »
What about the shield with two hearts, a key, and the lion..... if the inspiration is the cart, cant go wrong with that for side art.

RetroGreg

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Eternal NOOB
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2015, 11:34:36 pm »
What about the shield with two hearts, a key, and the lion..... if the inspiration is the cart, cant go wrong with that for side art.

This is really a great idea.

ChanceKJ

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2015, 12:20:17 am »
Hmmm, i'm wondering about that too. 

I'm using "updated" 2D work for my DK Cab. But my goal is to stay along the lines of the same feel that all the old official cabs had.  I think in this case the best course of action would be to look at a bunch of the art from the time period, and decide on a style that was popular, but one that still fits the classic feel of the cab itself.  Going with something from the Cart's art isn't a bad idea. And its definitely a more serious game then say, Mario, or Popeye was. Much less whimsy. 

I think the problem is that its such a serious game compared to the cartoonish ones all the other nintendo uprights were. Maybe to avoid showing characters in the art, and instead use symbols. Keys, hearts, arrows, hookshoots etc. If you can overcome that with the art then you'll have sold gold (excuse the pun).

let me think on this...

ChanceKJ

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2015, 02:51:18 am »
Ok, this is totally just a 30 second half assed job, but i tossed together a few examples. Pardon the jaggy edges and crude mockups. These would all have to be vinyl decals cut out on a transfer sheet, so whoever you have them printed with would need to plot them out. Applying them would take time and a lot of patience.  I have vectored art files for the title and the wings, and a high res version of the shield from A, (it needs a little cleaning up, but it was good enough for me for this proof).

A: Traditional boxart. with a cutout in the crest and all.

B: My favourite, hands down. A modern style placing of the Triforce logo with the original title. This one is seriously cool in my books.

C: This one kinda looks like a beer label. I don't know why, like an MGD bottle or something.

D: More traditional placement, but with the modern/classic themes.

E: Same as above, only reversed. This is my second favourite.

Now for the rest of the art, bezel control panel, etc...

The control panel would be pretty simple, I'd use the Wings logo right across the whole thing. Gold on Black with red for the fonts.  I could mock something up, but I didn't know what you wanted for controls.

the bezel is another matter. I'd say your best bet is to mimic the line art on the Zelda edition Wii U controllers and 3DS, Black with gold art. Sort of like this:

Generic Eric

• (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2015, 09:46:19 am »

In regards to the graphics.  If this was on location, the gold you have on the sides would be enough to make it stand out.  People would catch a glimpse of it and be drawn to it just on the gold color alone.  Marquee and bezel art; go nuts.  I don't think it needs anything on the sides.

Did I overlook the mention of the t molding?

Are you using a coin door?  If so, use a clay pot to catch the coins rupees.  Also, if you are using a coind door, how about a graphic that says insert rupee here?

tomstewdevine

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Comics, Arcade, Family....... in that order.
    • A Comic Book Look
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2015, 10:06:46 am »
I would only use art that is from the original nes 8 bit version. Updated side art could look out of place. 
Finished: 2 bartops and a cocktail
Not-Finished: 1bartop, 2cocktails, and 2 stand ups.

pbj

• (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2015, 10:19:40 am »
UCA 2016 Board Chairman.  #considerapedestal2016

matsadona

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2015, 10:20:14 am »
Late to the party, but what a build  :applaud:

My input would be a two button CP, as much alike the DK layout as possible - but Zeldaish approach.

For sideart, the Zelda symbol only - engraved or embossed in one way or another :)

Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

Generic Eric

• (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2015, 11:04:54 am »
For sideart, the Zelda symbol only Hyrule-glyphs - engraved or embossed in one way or another :)
FIXT

AzureKnight

• (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2015, 11:25:57 am »
For what my vote is worth I totally think you should go with Chance's option A, the box art look.  I think it goes perfectly with your vision to mimic the gold cartridge.

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2015, 01:06:55 pm »
Ok, this is totally just a 30 second half assed job, but i tossed together a few examples. Pardon the jaggy edges and crude mockups. These would all have to be vinyl decals cut out on a transfer sheet, so whoever you have them printed with would need to plot them out. Applying them would take time and a lot of patience.  I have vectored art files for the title and the wings, and a high res version of the shield from A, (it needs a little cleaning up, but it was good enough for me for this proof).

A: Traditional boxart. with a cutout in the crest and all.

B: My favourite, hands down. A modern style placing of the Triforce logo with the original title. This one is seriously cool in my books.

C: This one kinda looks like a beer label. I don't know why, like an MGD bottle or something.

D: More traditional placement, but with the modern/classic themes.

E: Same as above, only reversed. This is my second favourite.

Now for the rest of the art, bezel control panel, etc...

The control panel would be pretty simple, I'd use the Wings logo right across the whole thing. Gold on Black with red for the fonts.  I could mock something up, but I didn't know what you wanted for controls.

the bezel is another matter. I'd say your best bet is to mimic the line art on the Zelda edition Wii U controllers and 3DS, Black with gold art. Sort of like this:

Wow, Chance.....thanks for doing that!  B is my favorite of the bunch as well.  I can see some of those asymmetric designs in contrasting golds as well.  Youve all given me something to consider.  I may take the art in another direction....like I said, I considered using a more modern approach such has been suggested....however, Im still torn because I like the idea of using the images from the first two Zelda NES games and packaging the whole cabinet similar to to the other Nintendo arcade games of that era such as DK and the like.

But, that being said....Ill have to reconsider that.  I believe there is another Zelda build artwork thread going on in the art section in which he is taking the more modern approach.  I think it looks sick....but A. I dont want to copy his style...and B. Im just torn because I was going to take this build in a more classic Nintendo arcade approach.  So I have some decisions to make when I get to the artwork stage.....which is pretty soon!  Maybe Ill design both options? and see how it goes. Ha.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:08:35 pm by Wyo »

ChanceKJ

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2015, 02:15:18 pm »
Hey no worries! This is something that's very near and dear to me (Zelda and classic Nintendo cabs). So it was a bit of fun setting those up. :)  like I said, I have high res art files if you need. I'd also make sure to take a cue from other Nintendo cabs from the 86-87 years as they evolved slightly from the early 80's designs.

opt2not

• (+13)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2015, 02:23:40 pm »
Just a suggestion:
I like the triforce symbol in D/E, but I say pull the title from it to just have the triforce symbol alone. And instead of having the symbol black, perhaps you can experiment with stencilling the symbol on with gold paint (if you were to go this route, I'd test it out on some scrap Gold Foil first). This would possibly give you a different texture from the gold foil, and a subtle look to the triforce.
Don't be afraid of the stencilling, it's actually pretty easy, cheap, and there are a lot of good guides on how to roll you own out there (pro-tip: stencil adhesives are key to clean stencilling).

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2015, 10:48:11 pm »
Well, despite the rainy Colorado weather I got some work done on the Legend of Zelda cabinet today.  I was hoping to finish wrapping the whole cabinet today.....but unfortunately, I opened a box of vinyl that I received this week to finish the job and I saw this.....

Needless to say, I was pretty bummed.  So I will need to order more.  I am talking to the seller on ebay right now about taking care of this situation.  So yeah, the chrome is definitely a headache....but Im still glad Im going with it.  There are a few imperfections that bother me...like dirt nibs under the vinyl here and there.  It doesnt seem to matter no matter how much I clean before I apply....I still get dirt.   Definitely frustrating.  The vinyl is surprisingly durable though....its meant for automotive applications so Id imagine its going to hold up pretty well.  Im sure Ill get the occasional scratch here and there....but whatever.

So today I got the front panel attached and attached the brand new Takeman reproduction coin door.  I thought about painting the hardware and coin mechs gold....but I kinda like the contrast of the silver and chrome carriage bolts.  Plus they will fit in with my other Nintendo builds.  Anyway, heres where Im at.  This weekend I hope to cut the plexiglass and make the control panel which will have a black ABS plastic texture cover on it.  Have a great weekend! 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:52:54 pm by Wyo »

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2015, 10:51:08 pm »
My dog standing guard, to protect Zelda from my four dozen cats that want to use Zelda as a scratching post.   ;D

Brouhaha

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Learning as I go!
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2015, 11:33:33 pm »
Again: :blowup:

So shinny :notworthy:

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2015, 09:55:42 pm »
Well, Im still waiting on the new vinyl to finish the other side...so today was all about the small things while I wait.

First thing I did was install some handles for the back of the cabinet.

I then cut the blank control panel and the textured ABS cover that I will eventually glue on the top, once I have all the controls figured out.

I routed the control panel for the t-molding as well and then turned my attention to the brackets for the bezel and marquee.

Here the lower marquee bracket sits in its groove on the control panel cross member

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2015, 10:00:35 pm »
I finally painted the backdoor....

This sheet of perforated metal needs to get painted black and I will use it for the vent cover on the back door, as well as the speaker grill...

I turned my attention towards cutting the smoked plexi glass bezel....my favorite tools for cutting plexiglass are a router and flush trim bit....smooth cuts every time.

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2015, 10:05:26 pm »
I was going to cut the plex for the marquee....but I accidentally used the sheet I bought for another project I have going on....so I will have to buy more.  Duh!  :dunno

Anyways, heres where Im at as of this weekend.  Hope to get the other side of the cabinet wrapped next weekend and the remaining plexiglass cut...and then Im going to sit down and start designing the art.  Im glad you guys pushed me as far as the artwork goes....I decided to go a different direction then I had planned....kinda a combination of old and new.  Well see.  Have a great weekend! 

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2015, 10:07:42 pm »
Outstanding work as always, my friend!
I am so looking forward to seeing/playing this at the Showdown. It's going to be amazing!

Wyo

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2015, 10:13:04 pm »
Outstanding work as always, my friend!
I am so looking forward to seeing/playing this at the Showdown. It's going to be amazing!

Oh damn, I didnt know the legendary 34K was on were on here! haha  :o  Awesome!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:35:37 pm by Wyo »

Locke141

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2015, 12:32:03 am »
This is the best looking netted cad I'v seen.I like the first and last of ChanceJ'e art work.

What are you thinking for the CP? It may be cool to take some inspiration from the item menu. Was thinking a simple black back ground with simple blue boxes around the buttons and the three try forces around the joystick. If you go with two buttons and do add the NES games to this build you could even add the A B labels.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:27:14 pm by Locke141 »
I have Dyslexia. Sorry for sometimes using bad grammar and or spelling. 
Beat'em up-X
Vigolix Hybrid
Chrono stick
VS stick
Out of Africa

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31