Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Router N00b has some questions  (Read 1144 times)

Aceldamor

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
Router N00b has some questions
« on: November 03, 2015, 08:55:47 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm getting close to starting to actually cut wood and had a question or two on routers. I see regular and plunge. I've seen people use both regular and plunge.

I'm assuming the strength of plunge is that you can do just as advertised and "plunge" down into the wood for things like designs, speaker grills, etc. If you don't need to plunge and just want to run an edge for template copy or t-molding, can you lock the plunge into position? Again, on assumption, I would think you could, but this may be the difference on the purchase for me if you can't.

Thanks,
Ace
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

wp34

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
Re: Router N00b has some questions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 10:18:03 pm »
Yes you can lock the plunge. You can also get a kit that has both plunge and fixed bases.

Aceldamor

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 10:47:59 pm »
Thanks mate!!
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

vfecde

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 09:09:03 am »
If you invision using a router more than just for the single build and dont mind spending the money, many people will probably recommend the Bosch 1617EVSPK. Can be found around 100-150$ and will last you a long time. I have been using this router set for a while and it is very nice.

wcndave

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 11:40:06 am »
Plunge routers are more flexible. Fixed base have a lower centre of gravity and so are easier to work with. Unless you're going to get into woodworking and have a few, go for plunge.

Read up on how to use them, most important thing is to go the right direction, otherwise you can really mess stuff up.

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

vwalbridge

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Hope I remember how to put this back together.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 11:50:45 am »
Yes you can lock the plunge. You can also get a kit that has both plunge and fixed bases.

+1

Both the DeWalt Combo Kit and the Bosch Combo Kit come highly rated.

And if you really want to get fancy, you can get the Bosch Router Table attachment. 

(I've got an old fixed-based Sears router that is getting a little long in the teeth so I've been eyeballin' that DeWalt kit for a long time)

wp34

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 11:55:36 am »

+1

And if you really want to get fancy, you can get the Bosch Router Table attachment. 

(I've got an old fixed-based Sears router that is getting a little long in the teeth so I've been eyeballin' that DeWalt kit for a long time)

I've got both of those router kits because I have a tool problem.   ;D

vwalbridge

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 11:57:24 am »

+1

NICE! lucky!

...and one can never own too many tools.  ;)

wp34

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 03:50:18 pm »
...and one can never own too many tools.  ;)

Quoted for truth.   :cheers:

vwalbridge

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 03:54:29 pm »

May I ask which one you prefer over the other?

(I'm normally a DeWalt guy myself but I'd love to know your thoughts)

wp34

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 04:15:26 pm »
I much prefer the Dewalt although the Bosch has worked great for me.  I just checked though and my model is slightly different.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP611PK-Torque-Variable-Compact/dp/B0049ZFUK2/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1446671234&sr=1-2&keywords=dewalt+router

The reason prefer this one over the Bosch is mainly size.  My Dewalt will only take a 1/4 collet though which is sometimes limiting.  The one you linked two handles both 1/4 and 1/2 bits.

vwalbridge

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 04:18:28 pm »
I much prefer the Dewalt although the Bosch has worked great for me.  I just checked though and my model is slightly different.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP611PK-Torque-Variable-Compact/dp/B0049ZFUK2/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1446671234&sr=1-2&keywords=dewalt+router

The reason prefer this one over the Bosch is mainly size.  My Dewalt will only take a 1/4 collet though which is sometimes limiting.  The one you linked two handles both 1/4 and 1/2 bits.

Thank You. DeWalt it is then. Appreciate it!  :cheers:

BorgDog

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 09:27:05 pm »
I have 2 of the Porter Cable 1 3/4 HP, got the kit with fixed and plunge base, then another with just a fixed base.  One is permanently mounted in the router table, the other for whatever.  Been very happy with them.  When i bought the first set 15 or so years ago it was between that and the DeWalt, would have been happy with either, someone had a great sale on the PC so I ended up with them.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00006411C/
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop, Pin-Dog a mini pinball cab on vpforums

Aceldamor

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 04:36:48 pm »
Wow..thanks for all the info fellas! Lots of good info and product links..

You guys are the shiz!  :notworthy:
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

lordjackenstein

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 04:56:32 pm »
You are going to want a regular router, usually these come with plunge attachments.

RetroArcadePro

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Here for everything and anything arcades.
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 03:49:32 am »
I have the Bosch router with fixed and plunge bases. The fixed stays attached in the router table. I also have a rigid laminate trimmer. The smaller size of a laminate trimmer makes it very useful for doing edge work so as cutting a t molding slot.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31