Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Another Donkey Kong Build  (Read 3375 times)

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Currently building a DK cab
Another Donkey Kong Build
« on: February 02, 2016, 01:08:34 am »
Around the start of last year my friend showed me some hyperspin videos running some arcade games in all their glory. That then planted the seed which is why I am building this Nintendo cabinet. I never really grew up with arcade machines but after looking at some other peoples builds I thought why not build my own one as well.

I know some of you reading this are cringing at the words 'hyperspin' and 'Nintendo cabinet' in the same paragraph but I figured seeing as I'm building one from scratch its not as bad as converting an original. I originally wanted a 2 player layout with 6 buttons each but for how often I was going to play 2 player and realising how big the control panel was I decided against it and just went with a 1 player layout with just 3 buttons to accommodate most of the vertical classics. I am using the Gaetan plans for this build as they are in mm and the most detailed. I'm using 16mm mdf for this, a local hardware shop was closing down and I got the sheets for half price!

So I am already a fair way along with my build but I've still been taking a lot of pictures so here it goes...

I have no work bench in the garage so I used the old man's ute to draw out the nintendo shape for my template

Bit hard to see but this is the outline where I needed to cut

As bad as it seems using tyres to cut on, Dad's saw horses were else where and I really wanted to get started on this so thats what I used.
I used a jigsaw for this part and sanded any rough edges

here it is all cut out

I got the saw horses at this stage and I clamped the template on top and routed out my first side. I used a flush cut top bearing bit for this. I brought the top bearing piece so that I could see when the turns were which made it easier to cut out, rather than trying to follow the template on the bottom.

about to do the second side

as you can see it made a lot of dust!

I routed the t-molding slots early on in the build just in case I stuffed them up.

I got the 1:1 profile printed at my local officeworks (Aussie equivalent to staples but smaller)

I didn't get a picture but I have a friend who is a cabinet maker and they have a panel saw at his work, so I took in my sheets of mdf and got pretty much everything I needed cut in one go. I'll admit I did have to go back a few times for other bits I forgot

Put the first panel on

screwed on a couple more panels

screwed in the other side and it stands!

here I was eyeing up the the front panels to see how they would go

this was after I cut out the hole for my coin door, btw here is the coin door I got from plonka games

here is my coin box. For the coin holes I originally just drilled holes in each corner and jig sawed the coin holes out but it was pretty rough as you can see in some of the pictures. I had the cab laying on its back one hot day and because I only used a little bit of glue to hold it down the outside fell off (didn't have the actual box in). so I took that opportunity to route them out nice and square and used more glue this time, and I am much happier with the result.

Now the speaker grille... the part I wasn't overly excited for. I didn't take pictures of these even though I know now I probably should have so some other people know what not to do but I'll just try and explain... I first used a drill bit to drill out each end of the speaker grill and go between with a jigsaw. this turned out pretty rough and its hard to get exactly straight lines and I found that my blade was a bit thin so it would actually bend and cut on an angle. I then tried the router with an 8mm bit. this started off fine using 1 clamped piece of wood as a guide but my router was a bit sticky on its up and down movements so I ended up just coming off the guide a little and I wasn't happy with that. So upon looking on the forums again I saw just the day before johnrt did his using a guide on both sides and 16mm thickness wood as a spacer everytime and as I was using 16mm wood for my build I had heaps.

the piece that holds the bezel and control panel was also hard! I ended up finding some wood at my local bunnings (I think its like an aussie equivalent of lowes?) that was 30mm*90mm which was as close as I could find to the 29mm*89mm that I needed. i used a dovetail bit that had the correct angle I needed then used the straight cut bit to finish off the bottom part that you couldn't see anyway. the piece of mdf in front of it has also come out since.

I went into uni to try and make up some of the nintendo brackets. Didn't do too bad but my girlfriend's dad owns the machines that could make such brackets so I am still yet to take them to him to make better versions out of stainless for me but for the moment these help me see how everything fits. I also got my cabinet maker friend to cut me out bits of 3mm mdf the same size as the bezel and the marquee for testing too

here is the control panel art I made on illustrator. this gives me enough room to fit 6 buttons

by now I have my buttons, joystick and encoder and I really wanted to play some DK so I got a print of the art at officeworks so I knew where to drill my holes, hooked it up and played for an hour or so

I made this small box for my live wire to go in. I didn't want any 240v wire showing so some idiot couldn't accidentally touch it. A smart power board will plug into this which should turn everything on when the pc turns on

here is my ebay speaker amp and 4 inch pioneer speaker that I will be using

drilled some holes for my hidden buttons. I will have pause, coin and computer on/off.

here is my mount for my 19 inch LCD screen. now some of you are probably thinking why an LCD and not a CRT?! short answer is because with the range of games I will be playing I would prefer an LCD. However, the mount is not glued in so when the day the PC moves out a CRT can be put in.

I got some new coin mechs as I didn't like the look of the other ones I had. you can see in my previous pictures which ones I was talking about

had a piece of 3mm cut out for my back door to make it lighter

and after a lot of filling and sanding here is where I am today. It's nearly ready for paint!

speaking of paint we don't have Behrs here in Aus so I couldnt get a batch of Liquid Blue mixed up. I found a website called encycolorpedia.com which can give you heaps of info about the colour as well as which brands have colours that are close. I found that Taubmans: River Boat was extremely close. so thats what I have.
still have a bit to do but the end is in sight

cheers
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:55:23 pm by bplail »

matsadona

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
Re: Another Donkey Kong Build
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 05:19:54 am »
Well done. There can't be to many DK cabs :)

Personally I think it would benefit from having a CRT monitor - but there are pros an cons with everything.
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

menace

• (+5)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 06:56:55 am »
Nice looking and I love the use of tires for saw horses--you gotta do what you gotta do!

I'm sure it weighs close to as much as a car now with all that MDF--the LCD approach will help shave an additional 25Kilo's off of it...
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:16:15 am »
Well done. There can't be to many DK cabs :)

Personally I think it would benefit from having a CRT monitor - but there are pros an cons with everything.
Thanks mate
Yeah one day when its just running dk it will get one :)

Nice looking and I love the use of tires for saw horses--you gotta do what you gotta do!

I'm sure it weighs close to as much as a car now with all that MDF--the LCD approach will help shave an additional 25Kilo's off of it...

Haha cheers! Yeah look its definitely not light haha

yotsuya

• (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:13:36 am »
Looks great. Everything looks nice and clean.

Cobolisdead

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Restoring my 7th arcade machine, A Neo Geo 2-slot!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 08:59:46 am »
Great job so far! :applaud: :cheers:

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • (+44)
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 10:07:00 am »
Looks really good!

One quick question, how big is the slot you cut for the T-molding?  It looks too big, hopefully my eyes are just playing tricks on me...

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • (+4)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 04:55:44 pm »
So what's the trick to get Hyperspin vertical?

vwalbridge

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Hope I remember how to put this back together.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 04:59:49 pm »

Use jeepguy81's cocktail HS theme. (Among a couple other adjustments) Not too terribly difficult.

You'll need to be a member of the HS FTP to download the theme pack.

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 06:36:43 pm »

thank you both! :cheers:

Looks really good!

One quick question, how big is the slot you cut for the T-molding?  It looks too big, hopefully my eyes are just playing tricks on me...

I think its about 2-3 mm. it holds the t-molding just fine even though it is a bit big.

Use jeepguy81's cocktail HS theme. (Among a couple other adjustments) Not too terribly difficult.

so I have a 4:3 monitor and I'm running it horizontally because 1. my hyperspin setup is already setup and works horizontally 2. I wont always be playing vert games.
when I do play a vert game I get very small black bars down each side
 :)

talkgeek

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Every day you wake up breathing is a GOOD day!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 07:17:26 pm »
Nice build - showing some good skills  :applaud:

looking forward to seeing the finished cab
Currently building http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137777.0.html Mass-Replicate
Built "n0tsq3" cocktail cab http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133913.0/all.html
..and restoring a Sega MegaLo 410 Candy Cab & Moon Patrol Cab

matsadona

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 02:37:53 am »

thank you both! :cheers:

Looks really good!

I think its about 2-3 mm. it holds the t-molding just fine even though it is a bit big.

so I have a 4:3 monitor and I'm running it horizontally because 1. my hyperspin setup is already setup and works horizontally 2. I wont always be playing vert games.
when I do play a vert game I get very small black bars down each side
 :)

Yeah, why would anyone want a vertical oriented monitor in a Donkey Kong cabinet ;)  ;D  ::)
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

yotsuya

• (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 08:45:17 am »
All the Unisystem games  (Excitebike, SMB, Castlevania) required an OP to rotate the monitor so it was horizontal. So it's not like it's blasphemy.

philby95

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 08:24:42 pm »
Great build so far. Cant wait to see some more updates on this.

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 12:39:55 am »
Nice build - showing some good skills  :applaud:

looking forward to seeing the finished cab
Great build so far. Cant wait to see some more updates on this.
cheers guys

Yeah, why would anyone want a vertical oriented monitor in a Donkey Kong cabinet ;)  ;D  ::)
haha happens a bit these days ;)

All the Unisystem games  (Excitebike, SMB, Castlevania) required an OP to rotate the monitor so it was horizontal. So it's not like it's blasphemy.
did not know that. cheers

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 12:57:29 am »
small update today.
painted some primer in the speaker grille for when I paint it black. and then sanded the paint on the outside smooth that I dont get any brush marks

I brought some magnetic cabinet latches for the control panel. I originally wanted to do the latch approach but the latches that I had were going to make it difficult so I went with this easier option. I have only put 1 set on so far but not sure if I want to put another set on to make it more secure?

properly screwed on the lid for my power point to hide any live wires

and screwed on the back door top and bottom (it was only held on by the top in previous photos)

I brought 2 80mm fans to help keep the pc inside cool. I'm going to mount 1 on the bottom pulling air in and 1 on top sucking air out because we all know that hot air rises. :)
I also need to route out some handle holes on the back at the top for when I want to move the cab
once I have cut the holes for the fans I can start painting!

johnrt

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Happy Birthday! (well, I'll be right one day).
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 09:20:12 am »
Nice to see that your project is finally here where it belongs.  :applaud:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:46:17 pm by johnrt »

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 02:03:03 am »
so yesterday I painted the speaker grille black. I got a bit of bleed from my masking tape but I'm going to sand the front of the panel so hopefully that gets rid of the black.

I also drilled 2 holes for my fans

and today I routed out the holes for the handles.

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 02:03:35 am »
Nice to see that your project is finally here where it belongs.  :applaud:

Thanks mate!  :cheers:

Memorex

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Building cabinet based on Project Mame
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 11:39:33 am »
This is coming along very nicely! Keep up the good work!  :cheers:
Stargazing wizards stare into the night,
hurricanes and blizzards, here comes the final fight!

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 09:32:23 am »
Its been a while and I haven't really done a alot more but I decided that I would change to a CRT now after all. I decided that it wouldn't look quite right with the LCD and massive amount of games.

here is the CRT I'm using. It was an old tv I found on the side of the road. and it turns on as soon as power is present and it remembers what input it is on so once it is set up I shouldnt have to touch it again.

I just used some pine from my local hardware store to make the frame

I've mounted the frame in the cab. I used the measurements from johnrt's build that ChanceKJ gave him

I need some measurements, please. Can somebody measure the red, blue and green lines on this pic: Please???  :notworthy:

I know they wont be exact, but it would help nevertheless.
These measurements are taken from the centre of the monitor, not the corners of the tube. They are approximate.

Green: 9 inches
Red: 20.25 inches
Blue: 3.75 inches

and I also mounted the castor wheels using some M6 bolts and some left over pine from the frame as a spacer

got them pretty close to the ground I think

Whats next:
Sanding and painting

ChanceKJ

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 05:49:57 pm »
Awesome project!

Added to the list.

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 09:36:31 pm »
Awesome project!

Added to the list.

Thanks Chance! Appreciated!  :cheers:

Victoria

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 04:02:54 am »
really cool :applaud:

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 06:02:24 am »
Little update.
I've been slowly chipping away painting the black parts on the cabinet with satin black spray paint. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. still need to paint the back door and the control panel black.

need to start sanding the sides again so they are ready for the blue paint

zinger

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 11:35:35 am »
That black looks real smooth! Looking forward to seeing this entire thing painted. Do you have all the artwork and rest of the pieces you need?

Also, I didn't even know who Brynne Edelsten was until this post. Good to know she's about to go bust.

wp34

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 11:48:27 am »
Looking good.  I'm off work today and getting ready to paint the black on my FiF cabinet.  I took it as a good sign that you posted your pics this morning.   :cheers:

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 02:23:08 pm »
I had planned on painting the inside flat black with a brush.  Is spraying easier?  I may change the whole direction with my restore regardless (laminate instead of paint).  So spraying seems to make more sense to me.

Nice build by the way!  Also, I hear Attract Mode is good too and is compatible with Hyperspin Artwork.

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

wp34

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 03:05:44 pm »
I sprayed the inside of my Q*Bert black and felt like I got a much smoother finish than I have with a roller.  I'm doing the same with my FiF.  YMMV though.

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 11:09:54 am »
That black looks real smooth! Looking forward to seeing this entire thing painted. Do you have all the artwork and rest of the pieces you need?
Yeah, it did come out really smooth. just had to lay it on really thick without getting any runs. and yes i do have the artwork. its just sitting there so its motivating me to hurry up and finish painting!

Looking good.  I'm off work today and getting ready to paint the black on my FiF cabinet.  I took it as a good sign that you posted your pics this morning.   :cheers:
thanks mate!  :cheers: ill have to go and have a look at yours too

I had planned on painting the inside flat black with a brush.  Is spraying easier?  I may change the whole direction with my restore regardless (laminate instead of paint).  So spraying seems to make more sense to me.

Nice build by the way!  Also, I hear Attract Mode is good too and is compatible with Hyperspin Artwork.

DeL
yeah i think that spraying will be easier so that you dont get any brush marks. doing all the masking is the most tedious part. but if you lay it on thick and even with a couple of coats it will come out nice. if you dont lay it on evenly you can tell when its dry. on was only really worried about the black parts that show when your playing it. the inside of the cab isnt as even but you will never know when its all put together. lol. im definitely going to roller on the blue parts though.
i have heard that. i have been mucking around with mala lately so i may use that for starters then maybe change it later.  :cheers:
also johns arcade on youtube sometimes does laminate in his restores if you want to look at how to do that

I sprayed the inside of my Q*Bert black and felt like I got a much smoother finish than I have with a roller.  I'm doing the same with my FiF.  YMMV though.
yeah i thought about it but getting blue paint mixed up in cans would be really expensive. i have already got the stuff to roller it on so maybe ill try spray the next one. lol  :)

wp34

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2016, 03:22:32 pm »
yeah i thought about it but getting blue paint mixed up in cans would be really expensive. i have already got the stuff to roller it on so maybe ill try spray the next one. lol  :)

There is also a blue spray paint by Krylon that is a pretty good match.  I bought a can to try and like the results but ultimately decided to go with laminate for the outsides once I saw zinger's results.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=344709

Rolling it on is a good option I just suck at painting.   ;D

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2016, 08:03:28 am »

There is also a blue spray paint by Krylon that is a pretty good match.  I bought a can to try and like the results but ultimately decided to go with laminate for the outsides once I saw zinger's results.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=344709

Rolling it on is a good option I just suck at painting.   ;D

I'll see if I can find somewhere to buy that colour in Aus! Thanks

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2016, 08:04:39 am »
So I finally got to roll some paint on this thing and its starting to look really nice now. I'm happy with the paint at the moment with just one coat of blue so it should look even better when I get a second coat on there tomorrow. The Taubmans River Boat Blue came out so close to the original colour too, the only other recorded matching colour is the Behrs liquid blue so I was happy to find an alternative I could get mixed up here in Aus

wp34

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2016, 10:21:26 am »
That blue looks great. I bet that feels satisfying.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

zinger

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2016, 01:12:44 pm »
That's looking good!  :applaud: Did you have to tape off the inside of the speaker grill?

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2016, 07:56:27 am »
got the last coat on today but the sun was going down so didnt have enough light for any photos. ill try get some tomorrow and post them

That blue looks great. I bet that feels satisfying.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
yeah it definitely feels satisfying seeing colour on there!

That's looking good!  :applaud: Did you have to tape off the inside of the speaker grill?
I didnt, but I should have. got a little bit of blue and primer in there. I'm going to just mask up and touch them up with some more black paint later.

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2016, 09:53:37 pm »
Got the last coat on yesterday and I'm pretty happy with the results!

DarthBS

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2016, 11:27:23 pm »
I always have a soft spot for the classics. Nice build.

ballboff

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2016, 07:56:37 am »
You had me right up until you mentioned 6 buttons. Donkey Kong had 3 buttons right?  1 for jump, player 1 start, player 2 start.  I'm guessing you're banging street fighter on this cab?

bplail

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2016, 10:09:47 pm »
I always have a soft spot for the classics. Nice build.
thanks mate. excited to play it!  :cheers:

You had me right up until you mentioned 6 buttons. Donkey Kong had 3 buttons right?  1 for jump, player 1 start, player 2 start.  I'm guessing you're banging street fighter on this cab?
hahaha yeah I decided against the 6 buttons a while back. I'm doing a 3 button layout just to accommodate the vertical classics. I should have some more pics in the next couple of days of my control panel. so no street fighter on this cab, just classics  :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31