Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First Pedestal Cabinet  (Read 1652 times)

pyxlboy

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
First Pedestal Cabinet
« on: February 28, 2016, 09:37:50 pm »
I'm working on my first pedestal cabinet for a friend.  We like the pedestal cabinets at XArcade...but felt they were a little short and needed to be wider to accomodate....cough cough...wider people. :)

I drew up some plans and cut the pieces from 3/4" plywood on my cnc machine.  We spent a couple of hours doing some assembly, then I came back today and built the drawer and put on the door and shelves.

RxBrad

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: First Pedestal Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 12:40:44 pm »
Looks like you're using a projector for the display?  (I think that's what I see in the background) Interesting...

vwalbridge

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Hope I remember how to put this back together.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 12:44:01 pm »
Where does the computer go?

brihyn

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 03:16:41 pm »
I've been watching pedestal designs to get an idea of what I hope to build later in the year, trying to pick up bits of ideas from the projects of others.
Question for the masses on this one...I really like the basic design, very interesting to me, but do people think that the front side (ie, the side players will be at) should have a bit of an overhang?

rablack97

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 07:01:32 pm »
Yeah the overhang is missing, i wouldn't have made it look like a kitchen cabinet from the front either.

Coin door or a cool design.

Trap door on the base or a back door would of looked better for computer etc.

Hopefully your gonna stain it, cause t-molding slots are impossible at this point.

Like your control panel though, just can't tell which way your going with it though more arcade-ish or cabinetry antique-ish?

2016 Texas Pinball Festival - Best Arcade In Show - MKX

pyxlboy

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 10:46:26 pm »
A couple things... The center column is about 19" wide. This will hold the computer and some
other things like an xbox.

I do plan to make a second one that will house a projector, but this one will be hooked up to a large screen television.

I coat the edges of plywood with an epoxy and sand before priming....so hopefully that will work out ok.

There are a number of 3d elements that will be carved and added to this, especially on the front....hopefully making it much less like a kitchen cabinet.

I'm having fun building this. I haven't messed with a mame cabinet for quite some time.  I built a couple quite a few years back.  I recently updated the computer in my old "frankencade" and then had to upgrade the monitor. The computer upgrade meant updating my xarcade, which is temporary. I've decided to overhaul the control panel and wire my own controls....

bandontherun

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 06:07:57 pm »
Wow that is one hell of an eyesore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pyxlboy

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 11:09:21 pm »
Getting further along...carved up a bunch of the 3d elements for this golf themed pedestal.
The guy's nickname is "Ryno", so that's why that's on things.  I have a cnc machine, so I got that goin' for me...which is nice.  The bottom front will have a "Billy Baroo" putter attached. We may also put some astro-turf on the top of the bottom base and a hole and ball on tee.  Using the cnc for cutting the control panel was really helpful.

wemr97dl

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • KEEP GOING!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 01:42:42 am »
I like the Look, but I think the CP could use more Artwork, looks a little plain.

pyxlboy

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 01:58:20 am »
agreed

rablack97

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 01:49:55 pm »
Turned out pretty cool.

Im interested in the vector plans for the CNC, will you be releasing?  Did you draw them up in vcarve pro or aspire?

I would also go with a recessed handles on the front or push magnet doors, those golfball knobs are a bit much.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 01:51:44 pm by rablack97 »

pbj

• (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 03:10:10 pm »
Remember how 10 years ago everyone did collage artwork because we were all printing crap at work on the office printers on address labels? 

This is the 2016 version with CNC.

UCA 2016 Board Chairman.  #considerapedestal2016

yotsuya

• (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 08:28:30 pm »
Remember how 10 years ago everyone did collage artwork because we were all printing crap at work on the office printers on address labels? 

This is the 2016 version with CNC.
Rep for you.

reptileink

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 11:49:18 am »
Modified comment:

First pictures, I was like, "hell yea!" That pedestal LOOKS like a Rhino. Would have been smooth as silk just having that Ryno emblem and a slick black paint job with bright green accents and t-molding. I think you might have overdone it with all the various golf logos stuck to it. Craftsmanship is so on point, and the logos themselves are very well done, but it just makes this feel like a refrigerator stuck with different magnets. Would have loved a more cohesive design.  :dunno
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 06:13:59 pm by reptileink »

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

pyxlboy

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 12:32:13 pm »
Thanks for the honest feedback.  Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

rablack97

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 10:29:31 pm »
yeah, he won't be back.

pyxlboy

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 11:10:01 pm »
Absolutely wrong.  I do appreciate honest feedback.  The fact that some people feel compelled to be --cream-filled twinkie---hats about how they do it is fine. I can take it.  A little research shows me that some of the people making comments have the work to back it up. Some don't.  It's all good.

I have some good things to consider:
1.  If I'm going to post, it'd probably be appreciated if I showed more photos of the work and an explanation of where I'm heading. I see from other posts some frustration with "I'm starting" to "I'm done" in about 3 entries.  I was guilty of this big time.
2.  A more cohesive design plan makes sense. We were certainly doing this on the fly as a "what if we added this" and several people here think it was too much. Point taken.  I'll approach the next one with a more direct plan.  I respect the "hey, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should" thinking about the cnc work.  It probably should be "organic" and not tacked on.

I'm learning new stuff as I go, so I have no doubt I'll continue to get some "Oh god not another....." comments. 
A wise man once said, "My foe, my enemy, is an animal. And in order to conquer an animal, I have to think like an animal, and—whenever possible—to look like one. I've gotta get inside this guy's pelt and crawl around for a few days. Who's the gopher's ally? His friends. The harmless squirrel and the friendly rabbit".
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:12:28 pm by pyxlboy »

rablack97

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 11:20:32 pm »
Good for you man :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Way to take it like a champ and improve?

I did ask earlier if you would release the vcarve file for your design, even if it just a PM or were you trying to do a couple of commissioned builds.

I was thinking of doing something similar and figured i'd ask instead of revinventing the wheel..

reptileink

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 12:16:30 pm »
I edited my comments made earlier. Realized I posted off the cuff.

I don't have half the woodworking/design/CNC skills that you have. My cabinet sucks and is painted black. I do however, have extensive detail work under my belt from working with miniatures, and know about symmetry and what not. I guess I was just really disappointed watching this beautiful/unique pedestal build go from that to, "hey, look how many things we can put on it". It's still a great project, and I am sure your friend loves it, and in the end, that's all that matters. Hell, my cabinet has cup holders and 8 buttons for each player, all things I'd get slayed for here if it was a new build. It was my first as well, but again, through people commenting here, I have learned the "dos, and do nots".

Sorry if I offended, and glad you can take it well. Hobby folk are passionate folk and sometimes our fingers work before our brains. Look forward to your next one.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:24:23 pm by reptileink »

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

pyxlboy

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 03:17:55 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  Like I said, no worries.  I really do appreciate the passion.  I can certainly get plenty of "awesome" comments on facebook, if that's what I wanted.
My friends are almost always going to be supportive.  I'm totally comfortable with being called out for something I got wrong.  I may not agree, but appreciate that somebody
took the time to say something.  I once caught something on a forum that sounded really awful. The person had jumped to some conclusions and was pretty cruel.  I was totally ready to rip him a new one until I realized it was my own post.  Oops.

I'm putting some plans together for a new pedestal of my own and plan to get some input here. 

Token

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 04:25:25 pm »
Like I said, no worries.  I really do appreciate the passion.  I can certainly get plenty of "awesome" comments on facebook, if that's what I wanted.
I once caught something on a forum that sounded really awful. The person had jumped to some conclusions and was pretty cruel.  I was totally ready to rip him a new one until I realized it was my own post.  Oops.

I like your style pyxlboy.  :cheers:

Lucky S.O.B.

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Mmmmm.... Donuts!
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 12:09:46 am »
You have measurements or design plans for this cab? I am planning a pedestal cab and looking for a build to expand on....

klipsch

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Looking to build a pedestal
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 02:29:30 pm »
Hey pyxlboy,

Do you have your plans available to distribute? I would love a copy of your plans to base my pedestal off of. Let me know if that would be possible.

Thanks!

Titchgamer

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 03:35:41 am »
Very cool design :)

Nice job.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31