Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can I use CRT Emudriver on primary PC?  (Read 428 times)

shatterhand

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Can I use CRT Emudriver on primary PC?
« on: April 20, 2016, 11:55:29 am »
I wanted to know if it is possible and practical to use CRT Emudriver on my primary PC running Windows 7?  I don't have another PC to dedicate to using emulators with CRT Emudriver so this would be my only choice right now.  I have a Radeon HD 7750 video card that I know is compatible with CRT Emudriver 2.0 beta.  I would be using an LCD monitor for my everyday use and then I want to connect my PC to my SD CRT TV to play emulators using a vga to component transcoder.

Would my PC lose any functionality by doing this?  For example, could I still watch HD videos, Youtube, play modern games, etc?  I have read that without flashing the bios on my GPU using Atom-15 that the Bios/POST screen will still run at 31 Khz when using CRT Emudriver.  Could it damage my SD CRT TV if the Bios/POST screens run at 31 Khz while my PC is connected to my CRT TV?

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • (+1)
  • Offline Offline
Re: Can I use CRT Emudriver on primary PC?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 10:25:35 pm »
I guess no one in the know cared to respond. My understanding is that EmuDriver is specifically for use with a CRT monitor (arcade or TV). For LCD monitors, like computer monitors, you'd utilize the HLSL settings in Mame.ini to make your LCD have the scanlines that mimic a CRT, and not EmuDriver. I believe that is because with an LCD, you are stuck with the monitor's native resolution, with scan lines imposed through HLSL.

Here is a good HLSL tutorial:
https://www.videogameperfection.com/2014/07/27/hlsl-for-everyone/

yo1dog

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
Re: Can I use CRT Emudriver on primary PC?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 02:26:56 pm »
He stated that he had a CRT in addition to his LCD that would be connected to play emulators.

I am no expert, but CRT Emudriver is a custom driver for ATI cards that allows your card to output custom resolutions and refresh rates. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to have your normal desktop resolution configured along side your custom resolutions for your emulators. I would confirm this :dunno

I'm not sure, however, how well it can do both at the same time. Meaning, I don't know if you can output your desktop resolution to your LCD and your custom resolution to your TV at the same time. :dunno

I've also heard that TVs are much more resilient to bad signals than arcade monitors. But again, I am no expert. :dunno

Sorry I'm not much help :P

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31