Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Swapping old Panasonic chassis with Sony Wega Chassis?  (Read 377 times)

vrada501

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Seeking to outlive my noobishness
Swapping old Panasonic chassis with Sony Wega Chassis?
« on: May 04, 2016, 06:26:35 pm »
I'm still a little new to working with CRT's, all I've ever done was discharge an arcade monitor and take off the back plastic of CRT TV's.

I have a Sony Wega kv-32fs320 which is flat screen and has component that I use with my CRT_Emudriver set up
I also have an old 1999 curved screen Panasonic ct-27624a that I absolutely loved playing retro games on because of how beautiful they looked on it to me on that curved screen. I also really loved it's speakers.
While the Sony TV is great, it's flat screen doesn't provide me with what I loved on the Curved, even if it does support RGB/Component.

I would much rather use the Panasonic tv with this set up, but sadly it doesn't have component. Just AV, S-Video, and RF.
So the thought that's been bugging me is the possibility of just uninstalling the chassis from the Sony tv's tube, and replacing the Panasonic's chassis from it. That way I could use the Sony's Component input, on the Panasonic's curved screen and therefor be able to use my set up with it.

So I was just curious if this would be possible and safe? Again, I'm new to this. When swapping tubes and stuff, how do you know the tube and the chassis will work fine together?
Basically the bottom line goal here is to somehow get the curved Panasonic to support Component\RGB, so I just thought this would be the easiest way, just don't know enough to judge if it is.
If it's that huge amount of unnecessary work than it seems to me, I might just live with what I got but if it sounds simple enough for me, I may want to invest in doing this.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:29:36 pm by vrada501 »

burn_654

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Swapping old Panasonic chassis with Sony Wega Chassis?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 10:44:15 am »
I think depending on your skills it might be *easier* to try an rgb hack on your curved tv or at least see if it's possible. A lot of 90's crt tv's have what called a 'jungle' chip primarily used for overlaying closed captioning and menus. This overlay is actually an rgb signal and through some hacks the menu can be bypassed and take the rgb signal from f.e. A game console or arcade board.

Here's one such hack:
http://www.thetechnickel.com/video-games/crt-tv-as-arcade-monitor

Here's someone else trying it:
https://m.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/44p25d/journey_with_me_hacking_rgb_into_an_old_toshiba/

I mention looking into this approach because generally I've heard that crt chassis are designed with certain spec of tube in mind - I'm not so sure a curved tube would be a drop in for a flat sony without major adjustments to the tube, I believe there's a yoke resistance? (paraphrasing? the experts will know more) value that has to match as well. The impression I got was the more similar a match in spec/branding a tube is the better chances you have for a swap.

What about picking up a curved trinitron/wega with component? Pretty sure that exists.

vrada501

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Seeking to outlive my noobishness
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 06:33:58 pm »
Thank you very much for the helpful reply.

Funny that you mentioned the RGB hack thing, because before I got the Sony Wega, I was trying to look into something like that.
I researched and posted the thought on a forum and mentioned the model of the my curved screen, but the responses that I got were advising me
that it wasn't worth doing, etc.
I've never soldered myself before, but I thought I would have someone I know perform the needed soldering if there were any.

And I've actually tried looking for curved component input possessing CRT's. They exist, but they seem very rare. Ebay barely gives me results, and I've never seen them locally.
But If I did find one in my reach, I would totally get that instead of doing all this.

Alaska

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Fight inflation not farmers
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 06:59:21 pm »
I'm still a little new to working with CRT's, all I've ever done was discharge an arcade monitor and take off the back plastic of CRT TV's.

I have a Sony Wega kv-32fs320 which is flat screen and has component that I use with my CRT_Emudriver set up
I also have an old 1999 curved screen Panasonic ct-27624a that I absolutely loved playing retro games on because of how beautiful they looked on it to me on that curved screen. I also really loved it's speakers.
While the Sony TV is great, it's flat screen doesn't provide me with what I loved on the Curved, even if it does support RGB/Component.

I would much rather use the Panasonic tv with this set up, but sadly it doesn't have component. Just AV, S-Video, and RF.
So the thought that's been bugging me is the possibility of just uninstalling the chassis from the Sony tv's tube, and replacing the Panasonic's chassis from it. That way I could use the Sony's Component input, on the Panasonic's curved screen and therefor be able to use my set up with it.

So I was just curious if this would be possible and safe? Again, I'm new to this. When swapping tubes and stuff, how do you know the tube and the chassis will work fine together?
Basically the bottom line goal here is to somehow get the curved Panasonic to support Component\RGB, so I just thought this would be the easiest way, just don't know enough to judge if it is.
If it's that huge amount of unnecessary work than it seems to me, I might just live with what I got but if it sounds simple enough for me, I may want to invest in doing this.

Thanks for looking.

I would try using the S-Video input on the back of the Panasonic first by getting a component-svideo conversion cable (if needed). You will get a pretty killer resolution using the s-video when compared to the composite. It should be similar to the component resolution. I would avoid trying to swap tubes, chassis, etc. unless you REALLY know what you are doing. I started working on a similar project this winter and wasted hours and hours with no real results. I then found an old RCA TV with S-video inputs at a local recycling center and like the results. I hope this helps

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31