Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My second build : Pinup.  (Read 3788 times)

yotsuya

• (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: My second build : Pinup.
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2016, 06:59:39 pm »
Btw, take note: that's why Yam is a homeboy - takes feedback in stride. :cheers:

yamatetsu

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2016, 07:15:23 pm »
Btw, take note: that's why Yam is a homeboy - takes feedback in stride. :cheers:

Officially, I take it in stride. At home, though ...

;D
                   Completed your project? Post about it here!

yotsuya

• (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2016, 07:16:29 pm »

yamatetsu

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2016, 07:33:04 pm »
Blast it, I'm not even able to hit the bullseye. On a more serious note :

Now that the cab is seemingly done, let's see under the hood!

That will have to wait a bit, I still have to clearcoat one panel and then wait 3 days for it to cure. In the meantime I'll amuse myself with the monitor bezel and maybe I'll even do the CP, which undoubtedly will give me a new opportunity to take some negative feedback in stride  :)

yamatetsu

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2016, 02:18:21 pm »
The control panel : A mockup.

I put the buttons and the joystick into the CP. I'm not in the mood for wiring the thing right now, so that will have to wait.

rtkiii

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Ready to Build! Not building? Making Movies!
    • RTKIII Productions YouTube Channel
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2016, 02:43:41 pm »
I like the look of the CP.  Nice Work!
Arcade Projects
Visual Pinball Build: "Johnny 5" - http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=28935&hl=

Mame Build:  "The Time Machine" - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130489.0.html

Dual Gun Cabinet - Planning

Other Hobby - Youtube Channel
www.youtube.com/rtkiiiprod

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • (+4)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2016, 02:54:46 pm »
What do you think of those buttons? I wanted to use them on my last cabinet, but decided I had to have concave.

You are a hyperspace and Reverse button away from a pretty accurate defender layout.

yamatetsu

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2016, 03:22:52 pm »
What do you think of those buttons? I wanted to use them on my last cabinet, but decided I had to have concave.

I have no idea, to be honest. I haven't tested them yet. I originally wanted to use them in my first build, but then I changed the design and changed it again until I had a black & white cab that naturally had to have black & white buttons. So these buttons have been lying around for two years or so until I finally decided to build a cab around them. Just from laying my fingers on them and tapping around a bit, I think that concave buttons feel more natural because they sorta guide your fingertip to the center of the button, whereas you hit the UltraLux buttons wherever your fingertip happens to be. But they certainly seem to be playable.

You are a hyperspace and Reverse button away from a pretty accurate defender layout.

Heh. Funny coincidence. I just placed my fingers on the CP, marked the fingertip positions and drilled the holes. The start/coin buttons I just randomly placed on a line to the highest game button.

yamatetsu

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2016, 07:39:05 am »
Control panel wiring.

If you want to see neat wiring, go away. There is nothing here for you. You have been warned.

The left controller is a PacDrive, the right one is an I-Pac 2.

I'm surprised that wiring that thing went without a hitch. I hever never used lit buttons before and I also never have crimped a cable before. The hardest part actually was getting the LED holders into the buttons. You have to insert and then twist them until they snap into place. Unfortunately by twisting them you unscrew the button, so it's a bit tricky.

Some pics of the CP lit up. The pics do look nothing like it looks in reality, the buttons have a sort of warm orange glow. The camera disagrees.

This one was taken with flash on,

this one without flash.

yamatetsu

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2016, 03:59:11 am »
Fixed the bezel.

Since the bezel got slightly too big, I took a kind of weather strip and taped it to the bezel's inner edge. The bezel is still too big by about 1 mm, but that's good enough for me.

Edge-banding.

This was the part I was most scared of, since it's really easy to mess it up and ruin the work of weeks. From the videos I watched, it seems to me that using a chisel to trimm off the excess is the way to go. So I bought one and started practising, as I never have used a chisel before. I went through about 6-7 meters of edge-banding, using it on practically every board of scrap wood I could find. The results were lousy. The people in the vids make it look really easy, but if you never have used a chisel before, forget it.
So though everyone will tell you not to use a knife for this, I did. Boy, that made a huge difference. I didn't cut into the wood, most of the cuts I had to do only once, the result looks really good.

yamatetsu

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2016, 02:04:19 pm »
Power.

Found out that the psu is a tad big.

"Look at the size of that sucker !" Famous last words.

I originally planned to screw the mainboard directly onto the cab floor, but since I need to hide that bunch of cables, the board now goes on a platform.

Speakers.

The speakers are installed.

The front.

I doubletaped the front piece to the front panel and used six screws going from the back to the front to secure it. The contrast between the acrylic and the wood is really awesome. As usual, the ####ing camera does not do it justice. Every time I don't want them, I get reflections. Now that I want to show them, I don't get them. Go figure.

DaredevilDave

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Hmmmm
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2016, 06:47:32 am »
Much coolness! Keeping an eye on your project!
My Custom Motorcycle Cabinet Build For Custom Game (Daredevil Dave):
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151106.0.html

yamatetsu

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2016, 01:28:33 pm »
Much coolness! Keeping an eye on your project!

:cheers:

The computer.

Today I mounted the computer. The cutout from the bezel board had the right size to put the mobo and a hdd side by side on it, so I used that. The top layer is black acrylic, so it looks cool, too.
The 'chair' in the lower right will hold the psu.

Shininess.

I have to wait for some paint to dry, then I can mount the psu. After that, the software part has to be taken care of. I hope that I'm in the mood for that tomorrow.

yamatetsu

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2016, 03:30:59 pm »
The psu went kaboom while I was installing the OS, so I had to order a new one. Luckily everything else is intact, the new psu has arrived since then and the computer is working again.

The monitor.

To place the monitor perfectly under the bezel board, I put the bezel board on top of it, adjusted it until it fit and doubletaped battens to each monitor side from underneath. Then I flipped the bezel board upside down and put the monitor in. To hold it in place, I glued two sets of 3 battens together, glued those to the bezel board and screwed a piece of scrap wood onto them. Then I screwed the monitor to the scrap wood.

The bezel board is 50 cm wide, the screen only uses 30 cm, so that left 10 cm space on each side. Too much. I took two strips of wood, 4cm wide with a rounded edge on one side, stained them, waited 8 days for the stain to cure, clearcoated them, waited 3 days for that to cure and doubletaped them onto the bezel board.

This is how the monitor will go into the cab, there will be no plexi or glass cover. The screen has an anti-reflective coating, I don't want to negate that by putting something reflective over it.

yamatetsu

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2016, 03:34:23 pm »
Assembly is under way. Some pics of the innards.

My highly professional method of glueing the right side to the cab.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31