Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Greek eurostyle Egret 29 conversion  (Read 880 times)

mourix

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
Greek eurostyle Egret 29 conversion
« on: June 18, 2016, 07:43:55 am »
Hi guys, Iím a 22 year old Dutch electrical engineering student who's fixed arcade machines since his 14th (with varying degrees of success). After years of lurking on this amazing forum itís time to finally document a MAME project.

This story starts in 2010. Forum member njay bought a Greek arcade cab to convert to Hyperspin. Halfway through he broke up with his gf and sold the unfinished project to me. The original thread is here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=101535.0

So why am I only starting this project after 6 years? Well, a series of bad luck. The monitor died during transport. On top of that the roof of my shed broke so the cab stood in damp storage for years. Now I finally have good enough repair skills and a workplace to bring this machine back to life.

So letís begin, shall we? This is my starting point. CP in parts everywhere, random cables, grime, and rust.

I took out all loose parts and the monitor chassis. This is what it looked like after cleaning.

Next up was the monitor. Moisture took its toll on the Hantarex Polo chassis. Before storage there was no rust to speak of. I put a dehumidifier on the cabinet for a few days while I inspected the chassis.

Since the monitor had a rolling image 6 years ago and there was rust everywhere, I inspected every component and solder joint before plugging it in. A damaged resistor, cap, and 5+ fixed solder joints later it was time to put it to the test.

The monitor worked at first try! This project is a go :)

The cabinet color makes me think of a Capcom big blue so Iím considering a Street Fighter 3rd strike theme. The focus of this project will be on finish quality and durability of the components while remaining as minimalistic as possible. Iíd rather spend money on a monitor rebuild than on fancy stickers. I'd love your input.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:39:21 am by mourix »

harveybirdman

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: Greek eurostyle Egret 29 conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 01:03:45 pm »
Seriously cool cabinet! I'm interested to see what you come up with for a cp overlay and marquee.

yotsuya

• (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 01:47:54 pm »

The focus of this project will be on finish quality and durability of the components while remaining as minimalistic as possible. Iíd rather spend money on a monitor rebuild than on fancy stickers. I'd love your input.

I think you're already ahead of the game. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

rablack97

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 10:53:40 pm »

The focus of this project will be on finish quality and durability of the components while remaining as minimalistic as possible. Iíd rather spend money on a monitor rebuild than on fancy stickers. I'd love your input.

I think you're already ahead of the game. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

2016 Texas Pinball Festival - Best Arcade In Show - MKX

emphatic

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 12:20:59 pm »
Awesome looking cabinet. :cheers:

mourix

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 01:07:37 pm »
Thanks for the nice comments guys! Today's update: pc stuff.

With the cabinet came a Pentium 4 2.8GHz 0.75GB pc with an AGP Arcadevga card but it just didn't cut it for Hyperspin and newer emulators. I gave myself a budget of Ä50 to find a pc that's reliable, fast enough, and works with the newer CRT Emudriver.

For Ä25 I got this, a HP dx2300 business pc. It's simple, conveniently sized, and has one of the fastest loading BIOS screens I have seen. Original specs were: Pentium E2160 2x1.8GHz, 1GB ram, and integrated graphics.

I set myself out to make it a bit better:
- Upgraded the CPU to a Core 2 Duo E6400
- Changed the ram to 2GB heatsinked versions
- Put in an ATI HD5450 1GB GPU with hacked bios for CRT Emudriver
- Replaced cmos battery and updated the mobo bios

For the software side of things it's running Windows 7 64bit, Hyperspin, Groovymame, and Retroarch. Iíve optimized windows a lot by turning off services, boot apps, and visual stuff. The system is not super high end but it runs my games just fine. Testing was done with a SCART TV in the place of the Arcade monitor.

Last up was trying it with the Hantarex monitor. This is where bad luck hit me. It's been raining for almost 2 weeks now and my dehumidifier just couldn't keep up. When powering up the screen I got sparks and a bang so it seems like there's moisture in the screen. Will have to keep it off until it's dried, fingers crossedÖ

mourix

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 03:19:21 pm »
This project is taking longer than expected with the monitor issues and vacation times but I have made progress on the marquee. This is the original SF3 3rd Strike marquee:

Below is my version. I've found all the artwork to make the marquee and removed all unnecessary bling to make a more crystal clear theme with dimensions fitting my cab.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Haters are going to hate.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 03:42:58 pm »
Id color swap Chun Li (pink maybe?) so she stands out more from the BG. other than that it looks great
2014 Standup UCA Runner Up
2015 Restoration UCA Winner

Latest project:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150902.0.html
RedheadKingPinball aka GingerBalls

mourix

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 06:53:34 am »
Id color swap Chun Li (pink maybe?) so she stands out more from the BG. other than that it looks great

Thank you. It does look pretty nice in pink:

n3wt0n

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 05:09:34 pm »
That's a cool cab and I really like the marquee. Great idea to make Chun Li pink, it stands out much better now.

opt2not

• (+13)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 06:03:46 pm »
Interesting! This cabinet reminds me of the Namco Excellena. Well I guess 'cause it's a candy cabinet that's blue. :lol

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31