Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME and TV help  (Read 325 times)

tinsley

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
MAME and TV help
« on: July 07, 2016, 03:53:09 pm »
I am looking at building myself a MAME cab for the game room. I have an old cab I picked up that has JAMMA wiring in it. No monitor. I plan on using a J-Pac to easily hook PC to the JAMMA harness. I have an old tube TV in the garage that has not been used in years. I would like to use it for the monitor. The TV is a US TV and has only RCA input (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector). How can I get this hooked to my my Radeon video card? I plan on using CRT Emu Drivers to convert the video signal for the TV. My video card has VGA out, DVI out and HDMI out. I am looking for best way with most accurate picture to get this thing working....

lilshawn

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes

tinsley

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
Re: MAME and TV help
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 11:12:32 am »
something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TV-RCA-S-Video-VGA-SVGA-DB15-to-S-VIDEO-3-RCA-TV-AV-CONVERTER-CABLE/111335899477?_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190540%26meid%3D5aa48255add940b98260db00c375f89e%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

How is the outputted picture? Is it good? I here s-video is a better image but my old tv does not have s-video....

no.

those cables only work for the videocards/laptops they where designed for. you can't just plug them into a random card and expect them to work.

THIS is what you need. I have one and it works pretty good and it's cheap as potatos

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Computer-Laptop-PC-VGA-to-TV-AV-RCA-S-Video-Converter-Adapter-Box-Composite-/152101845645?hash=item2369f9fa8d:g:aAoAAOSwNsdXRC0i

lilshawn

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 03:54:30 pm »
the picture is about as good as you can expect for a video source that smashes the sync and video information together. RCA is really only one step above coaxial cable video in terms of quality. Svideo is still analog video, but the picture sync is separated from the video/audio so the quality is much better. Composite video tends to have weird edges on the video.

coaxial cable - RCA composite - Svideo - Component video - RGB - DVI/HDMI

tinsley

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 07:23:38 pm »
the picture is about as good as you can expect for a video source that smashes the sync and video information together. RCA is really only one step above coaxial cable video in terms of quality. Svideo is still analog video, but the picture sync is separated from the video/audio so the quality is much better. Composite video tends to have weird edges on the video.

coaxial cable - RCA composite - Svideo - Component video - RGB - DVI/HDMI

is it worth dealing with? or should i shop around for a new monitor?

lilshawn

• (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 09:34:15 pm »
it really really depends. if you see lots of CRT tv's on the buy and sell or thrift shops or have a recycler or thrift shop worker you can schmoose into letting you take a working one that gets turned in, then yes.

if they are few and far between... then it may be better to stick with what you got.

there were some TV's (mainly bigger sizes) that had VGA inputs on them... even rarer still with DVI input on them (mainly catered to home theater) this would be ideal. even a component input would be great and workable with an older videocard...

but at this point in time, it may be "take what you can get" since CRTs have not been made for many years now. a great deal of them have been trashed already.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31