Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Galaxian Multi  (Read 577 times)

Nephasth

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
Galaxian Multi
« on: July 19, 2016, 06:14:44 pm »
Seeing as I built this during a period of forum inactivity, I never made a thread for this project. But, since I’m back, ---fudgesicle--- it… Probably going to be a little weird with everything all in one post, oh well.

Anyone who has been in the arcade hobby long enough has scored a few freebies in their time. And if you’ve done that, by now you’ve figured out that free parts equals more work. A friend of a friend needed to get rid of an empty Ms Pacman cabinet. Drove over and found an empty-ish Midway cab painted blue. Perfect for a 60in1 project. No monitor. I asked about one, he threw in some random monitor that I still have sitting on the shelf. Missing the back door. I asked about one, he threw in some random door that I still have in the shed. (Pro tip: If you don’t ask, you don’t have to drag home other people’s junk.)
This cab had obviously been converted. Probably many times. But in its state at the time, had a Pacman marquee installed backwards, generic-ish space theme bezel, generic single player CP, Star Force PCB, coin door, speaker, and most of the hardware. No power supply.

Get it home. Find out that it was originally a Galaxian cab. Instantly planned on using the original theme. Love that white, blue, and green. This cab sat in the way in my garage for a few months, and the main motivation to work on it was to get it out of my house. Plan was to finish it in time to give as an xmas present to my nephew. I started this project late July 2015, didn’t take any pics until I had the hardware removed and was prepping to strip the sides.

The whole cab was covered in textured vinyl. I don’t own a heat gun, but luckily we had a couple warm days last summer…

Had to bust out the Bondo for a few areas before painting. Primer down:

Black for the interior:

CRT or GTFO. I had a couple of these 19” Dell CRT monitors laying around, which were free off CL many years ago. This was another opportunity to get rid of some spare parts. De-casing is the way to go…

Needed a quick, cheap, and easy frame. Checking the fit of the frame board:

Measured many times. Cut the hole out with a jigsaw.

Fit check.

Cut out a handle hole and painted the front of the frame black. Installing the de-cased monitor in the frame was pretty awkward alone. An extra set of hands would have been nice, but luckily nothing broke.

I used the scrap from the monitor hole and L-brackets to secure the chassis.

Installed:

This was my first attempt at installing full side art. This art set came   (eventually)   from This Old Game. Their tutorial video made installation pretty easy. Install went off without a hitch.

Went with green t-molding. The vinyl side art is folded over the edges and under the t-molding. I snagged  a marquee off KLOV. Been on the lookout for a Galaxian bezel, but no luck finding what I want. At least the old bezel is space themed…

The control panel that came with the machine wasn’t half bad. Wasn’t half good, either.

At least it was metal. I stripped it down and drilled two extra holes in the CP. It’s hard to find cool generic art, but I stumbled across this CPO which I thought was alright.

And I lucked out on the dimensions!

Went with my favorite buttons and a JLW.

No special wiring job here. Used a store bought jamma harness, and even a few bastard wire nuts!

But I had to rig up something for the LEDs…

I think she turned out pretty slick!

Finished before the deadline! And out of my house!

My nephew was super excited! He’s on the fast track to mastering many of the games.

Turned out to be a fun, quick project. :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 06:24:55 pm by Nephasth »
%Bartop

yotsuya

• (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Galaxian Multi
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 06:34:13 pm »
Great job by the master craftsman!

Slippyblade

• (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 06:57:25 pm »
Looks great, I'd be happy with it in my room.

reptileink

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 02:24:11 pm »
Pardon my lack of CP design knowledge, but why the two sets of buttons on the right and left? ambidextrous?

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

Nephasth

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 05:22:41 pm »
Great job by the master craftsman!
Looks great, I'd be happy with it in my room.

Thanks guys! :cheers:

Pardon my lack of CP design knowledge, but why the two sets of buttons on the right and left? ambidextrous?

That would be the main reason. I reused the CP that came with the machine. Many classic arcade games that had players 1 and 2 alternate turns had an ambidextrous layout. Since the joystick is in the center of the CP, I stuck with the ambidextrous layout and just added an extra button to each side. As you can see in the last pic, my nephew went with a left-handed approach. Whatever is most comfortable I guess...
%Bartop

behrmr

• (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 08:11:08 pm »
I just really looked through this thread and I like what you did.  Since it was already a conversion the buttons on both sides works nice.  For other builders refitting any kind of CRT this is a great method to use.  I've been able to do this in a Midway Cabaret and fit a CRT inside of it without need a backdoor bubble.  Using plywood gives you a lot of flexibility in placing the monitor's PCB.  Good job overall.  I know it came to you as a conversion but in the end it still looks like a Galaxian, which is really nice to see.

emphatic

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 10:58:03 am »
Great job! :cheers:

n3wt0n

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 12:00:40 pm »
Nice job as always Neph. It's good to see you posting in here again.

mourix

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 01:24:50 pm »
This build looks really well done. A proper monitor bezel would be cherry on top :applaud:

opt2not

• (+13)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 06:30:02 pm »
Nice quick little restore/conversion!  well done.  :applaud:

CRT or GTFO.
Bless you.  :notworthy:

Nephasth

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 04:34:37 pm »
I just really looked through this thread and I like what you did.  Since it was already a conversion the buttons on both sides works nice.  For other builders refitting any kind of CRT this is a great method to use.  I've been able to do this in a Midway Cabaret and fit a CRT inside of it without need a backdoor bubble.  Using plywood gives you a lot of flexibility in placing the monitor's PCB.  Good job overall.  I know it came to you as a conversion but in the end it still looks like a Galaxian, which is really nice to see.
Great job! :cheers:
Nice job as always Neph. It's good to see you posting in here again.
Nice quick little restore/conversion!  well done.  :applaud:

CRT or GTFO.
Bless you.  :notworthy:
This build looks really well done. A proper monitor bezel would be cherry on top :applaud:

:cheers:

Speaking of bezels... Just found out that Phoenix Arcade now makes a repro glass Galaxain bezel. Not sure if I want to drop the $130 on it though. They have a plexi Galaga bezel for $90 that would look great in this... Nephew leaves town in a few days. Probably won't be back until xmas again, which buys me some time to make a decision.
%Bartop

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31