Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Retro-Futuristic Mame cabinet  (Read 240751 times)

Shortbus

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
Re: Retro-Futuristic Mame cabinet
« Reply #1640 on: July 12, 2016, 06:39:07 pm »
Giddyup OND !!! This thing is too pristine to not wrap up! What an amazing build, but don't turn it into Boston's 'Big Dig'

Ond

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #1641 on: July 14, 2016, 05:13:35 am »

OND is down there somewhere, lemme take another look.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:27:19 pm by Ond »

Ond

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #1642 on: July 23, 2016, 01:56:52 am »

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 02:00:56 am by Ond »

Pixelhugger

• (+8)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #1643 on: July 23, 2016, 02:54:46 pm »
This is going to be interesting.  :cheers:
Project mega thread HERE

harveybirdman

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #1644 on: July 23, 2016, 04:28:23 pm »
Watchimg OND put the shine on that gonna be suhweet!

Rick

• (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #1645 on: July 23, 2016, 04:45:18 pm »
I don't think he can do it.
Spoiler Alert: When some jerk tells me I can't do something, I work harder to prove them wrong. (You're welcome for the side-effect of quicker updates.) ;)

yotsuya

• (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #1646 on: July 23, 2016, 05:14:41 pm »
Spoiler Alert: When some jerk tells me I can't do something, I work harder to prove them wrong. (You're welcome for the side-effect of quicker updates.) ;)
Oh, so Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 is done?

eds1275

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #1647 on: July 23, 2016, 05:43:34 pm »

BURN

Nephasth

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #1648 on: July 23, 2016, 06:05:06 pm »
%Bartop

Rick

• (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #1649 on: July 23, 2016, 06:34:39 pm »

Ouch, man. Right in the feels.

yotsuya

• (+21)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #1650 on: July 23, 2016, 06:35:33 pm »

Ouch, man. Right in the feels.
Work harder.  You're welcome.  :cheers:

Laythe

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #1651 on: July 25, 2016, 01:16:30 am »
Right on, Ond.  Glad to see you've got the inspiration to move forward on this beauty.  Enjoying the progress.

Ond

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #1652 on: August 03, 2016, 03:29:06 am »
I am progressing the kick-plate, more pics to follow as soon as I get it to primer stage.  In the mean time here's something to look at.  I've been building a new PC for this cab (no case, just motherboard etc) and loading it up and configuring it with the Front-End and latest MAME plus some extras. This cab will function as a jukebox as well as games machine.  I had previously designed this Jukebox skin for DWJukebox:

It was OK, but I felt I could do better and keep more to the Retro_future theme.  Since I'm making all these real chrome parts I started to get some inspiration!  I thought about a panel which has pressed steel (and chromed) panels, screws, glowing windows,mesh, and so on.... I came up with this (edit, minor improvement update):

I'm pretty happy with it, it is fully functioning as well! I'm going to follow this with a MAME emulator skin for MaLa in this style.  I was going to go with Hyperspin but after messing about with it for a bit I decided MaLa is still my fav.

Thanks for the encouragement folks,  my mojo is returning (slowly).  Getting the PC all built and configured has boosted my interest a fair bit, it's all good.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:13:29 am by Ond »

yotsuya

• (+21)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #1653 on: August 03, 2016, 08:38:14 am »
Nice job!!! I like them both, to be honest, but it's nice to see the juices flowing!

damageinc86

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1654 on: August 03, 2016, 11:22:56 am »
What kind of hinges did you use to make all your panels open and close so flush?

Ond

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #1655 on: August 03, 2016, 05:41:32 pm »
Nice job!!! I like them both, to be honest, but it's nice to see the juices flowing!

Thanks mate, that's the thing really, getting into creative-inspired mode!

What kind of hinges did you use to make all your panels open and close so flush?

Like other builders, I use kitchen cabinet hinges, they are adjustable and spring loaded to make opening and closing panels precise.  There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to use them.

Benevolance

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #1656 on: August 05, 2016, 06:45:32 pm »
I wandered away from the forum for a few years, and last week was struck by the thought, "Huh, I wonder how Ond's cabinet finished up?" I'm glad I came back in time for the finale.  :)

Ond

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #1657 on: August 05, 2016, 10:18:06 pm »
I wandered away from the forum for a few years, and last week was struck by the thought, "Huh, I wonder how Ond's cabinet finished up?" I'm glad I came back in time for the finale.  :)

I sure remember you Benevolance!  Welcome back , it's great to see some people from the old days.  If there's more of you out there snooping this project , please say g'day, it's motivating for sure.

OK, since I'm here, I'll post more progress on the kick-plate.  Just lots of layers of fiber glass cloth and resin and Bondo.  Bondo looks like complete ass when it goes on, but the process is what it is.  From now on until finish I'm going to rate each final step as a fun factor rating (FF) out of 10.  Hey I'm not allowed to Rep people, so I'm going to rate my personal funster levels getting to the finish line.  BTW the wrap around curved ends of the kick-plate (as per the render) are yet to be done, stay tuned to see how I tackle that.  Just out of interest, how would other people here go about that? Keeping in mind the whole finished and chromed form has to fit snugly in place against the cab - no gaps!
FF 2/10

FF 3/10

FF 4/10

Keeping in the theme - concept for my MAME MaLa skin (just the shell):

FF 7/10

That's Rick just pulling my chain - he knows full well I can do it - quicker updates? hmmmm mebe   :) .  Rick, If you're not already, I think you should have a completely new go at the Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3.  You now have the skills, access to equipment and relative wisdom to undertake it (unlike when you first posted the idea and had naff all such understanding).  Build that and be a complete legend (for all the right reasons).  Maybe look into low temperature thermal pressing of plastic sheeting over MDF forms to keep the weight down and have a different approach?  Or CNC cut MDF forms and hollow them out as well?

BigCurtis

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Life is Game.
    • Angry Cat Entertainment
« Reply #1658 on: August 05, 2016, 11:08:31 pm »
I think I would have looked at having the entire main bumper (including wrap around ends) fabricated at a metal shop with "edges" similar to that 1/4" wrap under you see on some CPs, which slide into slots routed on the main cab. Fitting into a slot gives you the seamless look, without having to get a perfect fit. The uprights would be as you've done, added onto the main bumper via wood, bolts & bondo. Send the finished piece off to be chromed like the coin slot parts.

Wax paper wrapped lower cab, wood pieces, an lots of bondo / fiberglass + sanding is another way to go as well.

Love your re-done jukebox skin, lovely.

yamatetsu

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #1659 on: August 06, 2016, 02:05:27 am »
I don't know if it's feasible. I would try to use the cab to get the shape. I would wrap something protective around the cab and then start slapping on rectangular strips of fiberglass that are bigger than needed. After having gotten the desired thickness, I would let the stuff harden and then cut the final shape out with a jigsaw. Then I would go about adding the uprights like you are doing now.
                   Completed your project? Post about it here!

BigCurtis

• (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Life is Game.
    • Angry Cat Entertainment
« Reply #1660 on: August 06, 2016, 08:17:40 am »
Looking at it further, and knowing that I prefer to use as many "pre-fabricated" pieces as possible (ties into my abhorrance for re-inventing the wheel in software), the uprights on mine would have begun life as the pointed tips off a few cheap 1x2 yard stakes they sell in bundles at the big stores.

I assume the chroming process would be the same as the coin slit pieces, since you'd still take the finished piece to fully primed. Curious what the pricing would be on a piece that size.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31